Monday, June 17

Eclectic Elements Card

I have a very special card to send to a couple of my favorite people in the craft world to say thanks. As you may know I got some of the new Tim Holtz fabric to play with and my first idea was to go back to a Seminole patchwork design I learned years ago, only this time I was going for a very shabby look.
So, out came the trusty sewing machine, dusted it off, and began. First step: cut even strips of fabric and sew them together. To get the shabby look I wanted, I kept the seams on the outside.
Step two: cut your long strip into sections the same width across to create squares.
Step three: sew these strips together offset to create the "diamond" effect
Step four: I sewed Kraft-Core Shattered paper onto the card base, and distressed the edges.
Step five: sew the strip onto the card in a few places, then fray the edges
Step six: use distress inks and water on a tag to create a background
Step seven: stamp the time traveler onto the tag with archival ink, then cut out
Step eight: pop the time traveler over the fabric, leave the loose threads, and the card is ready
The Seminole patchwork design is great with fabric, and I think I will try some of my new Eclectic Elements sewn in the traditional manner, but this design also works great with paper, as I will show you below.
Start with even strips of paper - great for scraps!
Adhere strips side by side to background paper
Cut apart, same width as each strip was
Lay out on the diagonal and adhere to card or paper
Card stock or fabric? Two very different looks with one technique.
I am also entering this into Simon Says Stamp Kraft challenge.
OK, time to get you in the envelope and send you on your travels with my good wishes.
Materials: all by Tim Holtz

9 comments:

  1. Maura...love your card! I haven't gotten Tim's new fabrics yet...but I love what you've done with them! Very clever to use little snippets and make a quilt pattern behind that dashing stamped man. :) I also love the stitching around the perimeter of your card...almost like you are framing all of the fabric pieces and the man! Neat idea! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card. Love the step by step and what you did with the fabric. Gorgeous.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY Lady! And, you KRAFY thing! Love how you sewed the fabrics, made the argyle pattern and colored the gent! All most excellent! Thank you so much for getting krafty with us this week here at Simon Says Stamp & Show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful card. Great to see those beautiful fabrics! Very pretty! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's fabulous Maura, I love the look of the fabric and your gorgeous design! Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maura, this is FANTASTIC!!!! And, I loved seeing all of your steps :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. MAura thanks for your comments on my blog! this card is fantastic! fabric is wonderful , you've done a great work! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this and I really like the step by step photos. Very helpful! Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest