Sunday, July 31

Wanderlust 2016: Open the Doors...

The July challenge in my Wanderlust class is a collage inspired by this quote by Coco Chanel:
"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud."


I recently shared with my art group how to make the mixed media prayer flags that Kasia taught us in our Wanderlust class, and had lots of bits and pieces left over, so on the last two days of July, here I am creating my collage.

I am working in my Dylusions 8x8 art journal. I really like that size format. Last evening, I adhered all of my bits and pieces for the under layer of my collage so it would dry. I included old papers, magazines, sewing patterns, lace, threads, music sheets, scrapbook papers, vellum...lots of goodies.


Time to get painty today on a beautiful rainy day (we really need the rain!). I chose to work mainly with yellow, green and blue, and used a lot of transparent paints so the papers would show through.


Next, I added some darker blue in around the edges and white. Most of this was done with my finger to get that soft edge.


Add another layer with some lovely stamps! I chose the Everything Art stamps, set 2 and a fun set I am loving from Snapping Monsters.


I came across this old photo of a door, and I immediately thought of "open the doors of your mind". There is so much going on around the globe and in my country right now, that I truly believe if we were more open-minded, we would create a better world. I think art can be a wonderful venue to share our beliefs in a unique way.


Ironically, when I turned this photo over, the date stamped on it was September 11, 1934. So many years later on September 11 would come a dark day that would affect many people around the world. I say again, we need to open our minds.



Bits of detail and textures...



Supplies I used:


One of the best decisions I have made was to sign up for this year long course. I have learned so much from Kasia and Jamie and all of the fantastic teachers they have brought on board! I am grateful for this opportunity to learn and to push the boundaries of what I thought I could do. 
Have a beautiful day! 


I am going to go out on a wing and also enter this into Creative Carte Blanche's July challenge - Blossoms and Bookpages. I might be stretching it a bit, but I did use old book pages as collage elements, and the "blossoming of ideas when the mind is opened" is going to be my blossom part, rather than flowers. Art is all about interpretation, right?




3 comments:

  1. Thanks Arianna! I love hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you entered this art journal spread, Maura! I got caught up in your process and in the evolution of the piece as you created. Love the pairing of the sentiment and images. Thanks for sharing this on Creative Carte Blanche!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest