Thursday, April 6

I can Fly Above the Clouds!


So, what's a gal to do when faced with another grey and rainy day? Why play with color of course!! 

I've been itching to try out my new stamp set created by my friend Andrea at Snapping Monsters. It has the cutest girls and words and images galore! Not only do you get the stamp set, but you also get a ton of ideas and inspiration with the stamps, like lots and lots of word combinations (she loves literature) and project samples. 

Started off with my trusty MISTI and stamped the girl so I would get a crisp image. Then I added the light bulb and stamped that onto her had, then stamped in the word fly into the crown. The MISTI makes it super simple to layer the images. I did this on heavy watercolor paper with archival ink.


Now for the fun part - bright colors! I really wanted to create a cheerful and sunny page in my art journal, so chose colors accordingly. I used the DecoArt Americana acrylic paints to do the bottom layer and stenciled in the design with Andy Skinner's Bubbles stencil.


I used matte medium and added in a book page, then smudged some paint on that.


Added another layer of color with some Fluid Acrylics...


Then, I tried my hand at painting in my stamped image with the DecoArt Fluid Acrylics. I had not tried this before and was really pleased with how well it worked. I didn't even look to see if the ones I chose were transparent or not! If the paint smudged the line a bit, I just went over it with a black marker.


I love the saying Andrea came up with that I stamped on the tag! It's a great reminder it's ok to still be a kid and play...even if we are many years removed from our childhood. So I layered the images up once I had fussy cut the girl and her wings, and decided to add a few bubbles around the saying too.


Then, I took my black pen and doodled around some of the circles and the tags...but something was still missing.


That's when I remembered my Dina Wakley Media Tape, so tore strips of that to add, and then went over it with a bit of paint.


Thanks Andrea for reminding me to play! I had so much fun with your stamps, and the bright colorful paint. Now, my day doesn't seem quite so dark anymore! 

Materials I used:

Dylusions Journal (large), paints, media tape, brushes, scissors, watercolor paper, heat gun, Ranger Jet Black ink, MISTI


DecoArt Americana Acrylics and Matte Medium


DecoArt Fluid Acrylics




1 comment:

  1. Wonderful work. Maura, I really love the brilliance of the colours chosen, not heard of them before, and what gorgeous image, I love that saying too!!
    I've joined your blog, hope you might reciprocate. 😉 I came over cos you always leave such lovley comments when I enter the SSM challenge. You are a blessing.
    Thanks for sharing your inspiration!
    Shaz in Oz.x

    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest