Monday, June 11

Simon Says: Anything But a Card




UPDATE:  I am beyond thrilled and honored to have my Electrical Theories chosen as a FAVORITE OF THE YEAR 2018 at Splitcoaststampers!! (and it was a Favorite of the Week for June 23, 2018!)

Hello Monday, and welcome friends! We have a new challenge for you this week at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Anything but a Card! So, it's time to pull out those projects you've been waiting to work on and join us this week.

I decided to create in a  steampunk/industrial style this week and make a home decor piece. It is a plank box that also has a twine hanger or a box hanger on the back if you want to hang it up. I was thinking about different inventions that came about with electricity...clocks, lightbulbs, telephones, fans, and how these and so many more inventions are part of our everyday lives. So here's a peek back into the early days of electricity. 


I started by staining the wood with distress stains, working in a couple of layers all around the box frame.


I love the beautiful design in the wood that really comes out with the staining.


Then, I used rust pastes to make the clock look really old and rusty, and patina pastes for the fan and telephone.


While those were drying, I stamped my images and blended on Distress Inks, spritzed them a bit with water, an set them aside to dry and cut out.


After that, it was pretty much just finding fun details and paper dolls and building the piece.



I even had some electrical bits and bobs in my stash and added these in. 


I also used the rust pastes on the Foundry piece.


Any thoughts and theories on electricity?


Thanks for stopping by, and I hope I've inspired you to join us in this week's challenge! Every week, our generous friends at Simon Says Stamp offer a $50 voucher to one participant.


SUPPLIES:

                                        
                                                    
                                        

A great place to shop!!


Simon is on Instagram - use hashtag #sssmchallenge.


Be sure to head on over to the challenge blog to see the inspiration from my awesome teamies, they are super creative!




SaveSave

13 comments:

  1. Oh My! Such fabulous rustiness here! I love this so much!
    As for electricity - it is not so much that but technology that amazes me - my Dad would never have believed that there would be such a thing as a phone that could take photos and videos, act as an encyclopaedia, clock, diary, as well as connecting in so many other ways around the world! I sometimes smile when think of what he might have said! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Maura...what a wonderful piece!!! I love everything..the rust (of course!) all the details that work so beautifully together...Stunning! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! what a fabulous decorative step back in time! the rusty clock, fan, and all of the details are brilliant! I love the whole design. of this, very clever :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabolous Maura!!!! The rusty effect really gives to it an old and vintage look!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Look how fabulous the wood turned out after colored it with stains. I am amazed! This is really amazing effect. So cool! Love the rest of details with rusty layer and all the people sitting there around. Hugs, Macarena

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous project! I love the steampunk look and how you stained the wood grain with the beautiful coloured Distress Stains and your embellishments are perfect too 😁. I hope you are having a lovely week! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your creation is awesome! Maura. Love the beautiful rusty embellishments and the whole design is fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing creation Maura !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous creation, this is amazing Maura and has so much wonderful detail and I LOVE that background colour and how you acheived it with the stains, it just works so well with all the rusty colour tones running throughout! Hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is creative inspiration at it's best, love everything about it Maura and the paper dolls sitting on the telephone and the fan add a touch of fun, hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is awesome! I love how this turned out, especially the bold streaks of color in the background. It's always a joy to see that imagination of yours at work and this is no exception. You've combined vintage and rusty and bold and bright all in one brilliant piece and I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love how you madethe background! Colors are incredible, love the design too! barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. I forgot : rusty pieces are amazing! barbara

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest