Monday, July 2

Hurray for the Red, White and Blue!



Hello Monday and welcome friends! We have a new challenge for you this week at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - RED, WHITE, and BLUE. If you live in the U.S., this is the 4th of July season - picnics, barbecues, live music, travel...and for many here, it is the real start to summer. This week we are showcasing DARKROOM DOOR products! If you have them, we would love to see them this week. 

We have a brand new guest designer with us for July - Karolina Bukowska who creates some amazing mixed media! Welcome Karolina!!

Appreciate the Journey

I do love to travel, and you truly meet some amazing people on your journey.


I started off brushing on Buff and Blue paints in my media journal in a random fashion. (I used Blue Lagoon, but a very similar color would be South Pacific.)


Next layer up is sponging a design with Simon's Abstract Triangle stencil. (I used Double Denim, but a similar color is Midnight.) I did not stencil everywhere on the pages. 



Time for some red! Since my pages are about traveling, I thought this compass stencil would add a great touch. I did the full stencil in one section, then parts of it in two other spots, repeating the pattern and color.



I decided to add a border on the pages, and stamped a couple of different designs along the edges.


Since I was also thinking of the holiday, time to add a few white stars. I really like these with the text in them from Simon. 



You can see all of the layers so far. Looks pretty busy, right?


I went in on both pages with the Buff paint and smudged in large sections that I could add my stamped tags to. This tag I had gessoed in the past and stamped on it. I added some stars, and also used the Darkroom Door Grunge Marks around the edge. I also used water soluble graphite around the edge of the tag with a water brush to create a shadow.



I did the same step on this page. On the tag, I stamped the old farm truck, then wiped Fired Brick onto my craft sheet, spritzed it with water and laid the tag on top. I dried that, then blended in Candy Apple on the truck to bring out the red. Finally, I blended on some Antique Linen and misted it with water to tone down the background. A few stars, and grunge marks, and this page is also done. 



It's been a pretty amazing journey so far in my life, and I really appreciate all the wonderful friends I have met on my journey. Darkroom Door, you came up with a great quote!


Happy 4th of July if you are celebrating this week! I hope you will find time to get creative this week and join us in our Red, White and Blue challenge. Use your Darkroom Door if you have it, we would love to see it!
Our generous friends at Simon Says Stamp are offering a $50 shopping voucher to one lucky participant. 

SUPPLIES:
                                        
                                        
                                                   
                                        


A great place to shop!


Simon is on Instagram - use #sssmchallenge

Check out how the design team is using red, white and blue this week with Darkroom Door - you know it will be awesome!





10 comments:

  1. Your background is so cool. I love all the patterns and layers and colors you put there. What a creative mess. The sentiment is very true. Hugs, Marzena.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous art journalling Maura! the background is fabulous and I love the old red truck and sentiment, so very true :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and intricate background!! it is perfect for this lovely art journal spread!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous mixed media background and beautiful tags on it. Loved to read your how to, Maura. The DD's truck stamp is really gorgeous. Wish I had enough time to do some mix media works.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hugs.

    Marge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect sentiment, and great combination of textures! Hope you had a happy 4th! :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful page Maura! I love the wonderful sentiment that you used and the truck stamp looks fantastic here. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool techniques, my friend! I'm always impressed with your utilization of supplies! I think you and I do a good job of fueling each others' carts at Simon! I also really liked your clever take on the theme. This piece was both heartwarming and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maura I adore your ability to mix colors and material and styles! You're unique as well as your projects! Wonderul pages! barbara

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful art journal page Maura, love all the details you added to the background and that sentiment is so true, hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely pages, Maura, so much layers and interest, fabulous idea to stamp in white. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest