Monday, August 24

Beautiful Botanicals



Hello Monday my friends! We are all about botanicals this week at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge with our BEAUTIFUL BOTANICALS theme. Did you know mushrooms, toadstools and fungi are also botanicals? I think these species are pretty amazing with their diverse shapes and colors. I did sneak in a few flowers too if you look closely. 

MYCOLOGY FIELD NOTES


I went to a page in my small Dylusions journal that I'd made long ago and am using this as my base. If your creative mojo is in a slump, why not just play and make some backgrounds in your journal?


Next, I am adding a crackle layer with the new Crackle Background (designed by my teammate Anna-Karin!) and Ground Espresso. 


I'm sneaking in some flowers with the new Anna's Flowers set (yes, another from Anna-Karin!) The large ones are using Peeled Paint, and the smaller sizes are the Tumbled Glass and Speckled Egg inks.


There are some great dots and script in the Tiny Toadstools set by Tim Holtz, and I've added in another element using Simon's black ink. I think the background is done.


Detail...


Meanwhile, I stamped the tiny toadstools and mushrooms onto watercolor paper, and colored them with colored pencils...and yes, mushrooms come in a whole rainbow of colors! I stamped and punched out the specimen labels, then looked up scientific names of mushrooms to write on them. (NOTE - if you are a mycologist, there is no scientific accuracy here...I've taken my artistic license to use these as a design element) (My science background made me say that, lol!)


I stamped "Mycology field notes" onto the pages.  I collaged on some bits of paper too, then arranged my mushrooms.


Details...





I went a bit off the usual botanical tract with my mushrooms, and had a lot of fun putting this together. 


So what do you think of when you hear botanical? Take out your craft supplies and create something botanical this week and join us! Our generous friends at Simon Says Stamp are offering a $25 shopping voucher for one of you, chosen at random. 





A great place to shop for all your crafting supplies!


Simon is on Instagram - use #sssmchallenge


 Head on over to see the botanical wonders from the design team!


Don't forget about our Kids Summer Challenge! 


....and STAMPTEMBER is right around the corner!!
 

5 comments:

  1. Stunning page Maura!! The background is wonderful with the crackles and flowers. It is so fun to see the stamps in action. Gorgeous colorful mushrooms and the added names of the mushrooms is such a great touch. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anna-Karin! I love your new stamps, and I might just have to get that other crackle too. I had fun channeling my science background. Enjoy the week! Maura

      Delete
  2. Oh wow Maura, I love that you used mushrooms (I nearly did too), they look amazing with their botanical names and the crackle background is superb. I love the subtlety of the flowers in the background too. Beautiful! Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anne! I just think mushrooms are so diverse and interesting, and funny you almost used them too. Have a great week! Maura

      Delete
  3. Such beautiful pages! The textured background looks amazing with all those stamps and the mushrooms look fabulous 😁. Take care and happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest