Wednesday, July 3

Simon Says Anything Goes, so I am Traveling!

I am hosting a swap with my art group, and now that I am finally done with school and it keeps raining and raining, well...it is the perfect time to work on that and the Simon Says challenge. I have challenged my art group to alter 10 playing cards following a travel theme - places around the world, means of travel, traveling through time or imagination...definitely open to interpretation. Since it is anything goes for the SSS challenge, well let's pull out the stops!
Being in a playful mood, I decided to alter mine following all the travel theme ideas - why not? Start with a layer of gesso on the cards to create a base, and I wanted to keep it thin to leave hints of the playing card underneath.
Next I went over the base with distress paints, and discovered a nice surprise! I got this fabulous texture - I think the gesso acted as a resist in some areas. I love it!
Since this was going so well, and I do love color, why stop here? So I tried layering on some distress stains and mists, and started getting effects like this - even better!
A bit of stamping, and then let everything dry through the night...remember that rain, well it's been humid, so everything is taking longer to dry.
Rainy day to play, so I did...stamping, layering, ribbons, gears, anything goes! Here are the altered playing cards that I came up with.
First, traveling through time and my imagination, and of course you can see that steampunk theme I so love.
Next, the great road trip I have to take some time following Route 66 - from Chicago to L.A. Then some inspirations for Italy and France. I certainly could have gone further on my travels.
So, which one is my favorite? I guess it would have to be this one...spirit of adventure, traveling through the imagination, gears, that suitcase he is carrying, and a hot air balloon - what could be better?
Some of the creative aftermath...
Ready for some traveling, be it the good olde regular travel or a voyage through the imagination? I know I am!!

9 comments:

  1. Maura...these altered playing cards are so cool! Love the travel theme and yours are sensational. The mixed media backgrounds on each of them are so unique. Love the stamped images and all of the embellishments you've used on each and every card! Thanks for sharing your work with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your altered playing cards, love all the backgrounds and the mix of designs and stamped images. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maura! The texture and color made from the Gesso and Stains was just brilliant! I love the background! Then you just embellished so beautifully! These are just gorgeous makes, gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your wonderful work with us here at Simon Says Stamp & Show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE everything about these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of those backgrounds you achieved with your gesso, paints and stains. The varied collection of altered cards look great together with their riot of colour and textures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so gorgeous! Love the background you created, the travel theme, all the great images and colours. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! Thanks for taking us on this trip with you. Love this incredibly creative way to alter playing cards. I am truly inspired :) -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of wonderful inspiration. Great theme. Congrats being spotlighted at Simon Says.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest