Monday, November 9

N is for...Northern Lights



We challenge you to create something beginning with the letter N this week. We are celebrating all things N for November! It could be navy blue, nautical, Neenah paper, any product, idea, whatever the letter N says to you! Come join us in this week's challenge.

I started by making a list of N words to jumpstart ideas and chose "night" which then morphed into the "northern lights". It's amazing, the paths the mind takes in creating. 

I have a new art journal, the Dylusions black 8x8 journal, so I pulled it out and christened it this week. 



I started out by painting the background with Dylusions paints, they work beautifully on the black. I added glitter to the dark blue and purple, a great idea from my friend Ashli Oliver over at the Purple Mailbox. I then took a comb through the wet paint to create some lines and texture, and finally sprinkled the pages with metallic splatters.





Time to crank out the dies! I am a convert to die cutting now!! I started by cutting a bunch of gears, then painted them in metallics and a bit of purple.  I took some of the gilt paint and dry brushed it on card stock and stamped on that, then laid everything out on the pages to figure where I wanted to put things down.





Lettered my "northern lights" and added a bit of journaling...



I have been lucky enough to see the northern lights a few times, and they are a spectacular display of color, and just awe inspiring. 



I hope I have inspired you to join in this week's challenge with the letter "N". I can't wait to see what direction you head in!

   As always, Simon Says Stamp offers a generous $50 voucher.


Be sure to check out the great shopping, the latest on Instagram, and the wonderful, creative work from the design team!



SUPPLIES:




 

   
   



11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous journal pages Maura :-) the glittery starry sky looks fabulous and I love the gears, absolutely fabulous! :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love the journal. The glitters are fabulous. So good to the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful northern lights! Gorgeous idea for your journal pages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maura, what a great idea! And I'm so jealous, I think the city lights are too bright for me to see them, but it's not for a lack of trying! :(

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your journal pages are awesome! The colors and textures are so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Northern lights! What a clever N theme! I hope to someday see the phenomenon of the Northern lights in person, but for now, I'll just enjoy your journal! I like how you blended the colors the way you did and adore the pinpoints of yellow you added. So many layers of yumminess here and I like the whimsical lettering, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pages, wonderful colors! Great steampunk addition, the gears are perfect! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that you picked Nothern Lights for this theme, Maura. Great blending those colors. Wonderful spread. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea for the challenge and the background is gorgeous! Love the look of the paint on the black cardstock. And those cool gears.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous journal pages, Maura and I love your take on the challenge theme ~ it's perfect and those Northern Lights look amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest