Tuesday, November 15

What's in a Word?




Greetings steampunk friends! Are you ready for a new challenge with Sandee and amelie's Steampunk Challenges - mixed media in a steampunk or industrial style? I hope you will join us this month and WOW us with your creation - I have to say, I am amazed at the wonderful imaginative styles you have!! 

I came up with this idea a long time ago, and am finally making it. Talk about procrastination! 

Steampunk to me, means an alternate universe run on steam and mechanicals in a somewhat Victorian setting, usually filled with contraptions, corsets, top hats, airships, danger and romance. I love, love to get my hands on a good steampunk story and can quickly lose myself into this alternate universe. I think it appeals to my scientific brain as well as my other side that likes fantasy, romance and adventure. 

Do you want to know more about what the word Steampunk means? Here are a couple of sources that I feel do a pretty good job of explaining it - Wikipedia and Steampunk.com


I collected chipboard letters in all shapes and sizes to create my canvas.


Next, I dug into my steampunk collection of chipboard and selected pieces to incorporate with the letters. 


After I glued everything into place painted white gesso over it all. Then I added in some texture with stones and tiny screws and Texture Sand Paste.


I wanted more texture, so my next step was to cover the letters with Crackle Paint, and then of course I had to be patient while everything dried, not my strong point. 


Now the fun begins as I start to add layers of color with the DecoArt Fluid Acrylics. My first layer is Prussian Blue Hue (a fave) and then Cobalt Teal Hue. I really thought when I started that I would be keeping this in the blue hues...


...but found I could not resist adding in some green with the Green Gold...


...and then some highlights with the Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide.


So, of course now that my hands were already covered in paint, why not add more? I dripped Quinacridone Gold (another fave) down the painting, and then went around the edges of the letters with Paynes Grey to make them step out from the canvas, so to speak.


To highlight certain areas even further, I dry brushed Metallic Gold onto areas, and then rubbed on Copper Kettle metallic wax finish. I also edged the canvas with the copper, and rubbed over the texture sand paste ares with it to add more detail. I'm kind of feeling like I went back into my deep sea mood with these colors.





So, procrastination is over and my idea is brought to fruition...finally! 


I would be interested to hear your thoughts on what steampunk means to you. I hope you are inspired to join us in our challenge this month! 

DECOART SUPPLIES:
DecoArt Fluid Acrylics: Prussian Blue Hue, Cobalt Teal Hue, Green Gold, Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide, Quinacridone Gold, Paynes Grey, Metallic Gold
Mediums: Texture Sand Paste, White Crackle Paint, Copper Kettle wax metallic finish 

Much appreciation to our sponsors who keep the gears turning at SASPC!








5 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful, Maura!

    I love the depth you have created! I love the colour scheme! I love the beautiful textures! I am so happy that this idea has finally come to life! You have created such a stunning piece of steampunk art! Wow!

    Hugs,
    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- so cool! Thanks for laying out the steps -- I love the depth of color you achieved with all the different layers of paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing project! Loving the full screen images!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally INCREDIBLE Maura. LUSCIOUS colors and FAB textures. What a treat to see! j.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it ! I also love this kind of tutorial , so easy to work along side of you. Thank you for sharing !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest