Monday, February 20

How About a Road Trip?



Hello Monday!! Are you ready for this week's challenge at Simon Says Stamp? Our theme this week is "Transport It" - trains, planes, automobiles, hot air balloons...however you interpret transport is what we would love to see!

I have a road trip on my bucket list - I want to travel Route 66 from Chicago to L.A. one of these days, and stop and visit all of those iconic places along the way, and take lots of photos!  On previous road adventures, we have stopped in at some of the locations on Route 66, and it is like stepping back in time. 

So, in the meantime, I made this tag. When I came across Tim Holtz's Road Trip stamp set in my stash, it called to me and said, "hey, use me for this challenge!" I wanted to use colors that remind me of the Southwest and have a retro feel.


First steps are to stamp some images onto the huge tag with archival ink, and then start blending in the distress inks, and add some water splats.

 

Here I am in the midst of creative chaos! (looks a bit more organized than usual, lol)


I also stamped several images on the heavystock and inked those up to add later. I am not sure what model the car is, but I am imagining and singing "Pink Cadillac" - after all, why not!


I decided to add some journaling to the tag, both to get my thoughts down and to add another layer.



Next step - stencils and Grit Paste. Since you can't heat the grit paste, I had to be patient and let it dry overnight. (it doesn't take that long, but my patience needed it) My plan was to go in with distress crayons and add color to the stenciled images, but I liked it natural - some areas picked up a bit of the ink color. 


Let's add in some more texture with Black Soot and Picket Fence distress paints and the splatter brush.


Talk about finding the perfect embellies - an old Ford vehicle key, an American Tourister luggage key that looks like it is from that era, and the word travel. I dirtied up the keys a bit more with some black soot paint.



details...




I wonder where your adventures will transport you? I hope you join us this week for our newest challenge, and look forward to seeing what you make! 

Simon Says Stamp offers a $50 voucher to one lucky participant! 


SUPPLIES:

                                       
                                       

Simon is on Instagram! Use hashtag #sssmchallenge


I'm wondering what kind of transports the DT is coming up with, aren't you? Be sure to head over to get some fabulous inspiration! 


A great place to shop!!






16 comments:

  1. This sure does remind me of Route 66, Maura. You did a fabulous job with the colors of your background. Love it!

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous tag Maura :-) I love the pink Cadillac and all of the details. I have never been on Route 66 but this makes me feel like I want to go! ;-) This definitely transports us back in time too! LOVE it :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a surprising tag. I thought it was a cover of a small album or something :-) Love the colors and all the masculine elements. The keys rock! Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a super fun and artistic tag! I love how you added the keys. Truly inspiring! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maura, What a fun interpretation of this transport theme, and I just love what you did with all those Distress products! This is one fun tag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your color palette for this super project! I hope you get your travel wish. I have an online blogger "friend" who made this dream trip this past year and had such a grand experience all throughout and shared some really fab photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat project, Maura! I love the blended rainbow palette! :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic project Maura!! I'd love to go on that trip too! The colours are perfect and I love those keys that you used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE your gorgeous blending and choice of colours Maura!! I've been to parts of Southwest twice - definitely my fave zone in USA! All the stamped elements look brilliant with such a wonderful retro feel. You have me singing Pink Cadillac now too! The keys were a perfect find to include! Hope you get to do Route 66! Have a lovely weekend. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  10. fabulous take on the challenge Maura, love the colours you used and can I join you on this fun Rpute 66 adventure, have a great weekend, hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great tag and I love the colours you've chosen to use and how you've seamlessly blended them to create such a cool background! It's gorgeous, Maura... xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this project!! The colors are so dreamy and while I don't remember ever seeing that stamp set from Tim before, you have made me believe that it's a must-have! I adore the clever way you incorporated the different images and I see that we all most certainly MUST go on a SSS Route 66 travel adventure together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a SSS Route 66 road trip adventure is an awesome idea!!!

      Delete
  13. Maura you know how I love this project! it's fantastic! love the rainbow colors, love the stamps, love the design! One word: perfection! I pinned your tag in my board on Pinterest Rainbow colors! barbara

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love love the beautiful colors and those fabulous embellishments on this tag, Maura. Such a delightful and fantastic inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such an amazing piece, Maura! Love the pink car and a route 66 trip would be fantastic! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest