Monday, July 24

The Brave Little Steampunk Tailor



Hello Monday my crafting friends! Of course you know we have a brand new challenge for you this week - "You've Got the Edge" where its all about the edge of the project, or using edges like die cut frames, so start your imagination rolling! 

Honestly, I never know where inspiration will come from...I began my project for this week thinking I  would go edgy with steampunk, and then I read one of the rulers I'm using, and it totally took me in a new direction. Yep, that's the one below.


Of course, it could also be that I just finished reading this short story by A.W.Exley which is part of the Serenity House series - kind of a zombie apocalypse series (not my usual reading, but I really like the author). The story is loosely based on the tale of the Brave Little Tailor, you remember the one - "seven with one blow" which were really flies he swatted, not giants he killed, but people hear what they want to, right?
So, when I read Merchant Tailor on the ruler, my imagination took a sharp turn in this direction!


The Brave Little Steampunk Tailor


I started my project with a 6x6 canvas and collaged on some French Industrial paper. My plan in the beginning was to have a lot of this show through...you will see what happens.


Using the gear stencil and texture paste, first dimensional layer is added and set aside to dry.


A first for me - I am trying out Prima's paper clay and a Vintage Medallions mould. Since I couldn't make up my mind which ones I wanted to use, I made them all! Now, I will have a few on hand for projects. I let these dry overnight.


Would you believe I've had this Rusty Paper for a long time, and just opened it now? (if you are like me, then you likely would believe it :) I went over most of it and made this my base layer. I did go in with a baby wipe and take some off the faces.


I love a blue and rust combination, so I started layering paint, and adding another layer with the harlequin stencil.


I added some highlights of gold and copper, stamped in some numbers, and stamped my "face" parts onto scraps of the French Industrial paper. Later I went in and blended in some distress oxide inks (salty ocean and peacock feathers).
You can see by the end, not much shows of the collaged papers I began with. 


I wanted the rulers to contrast a bit with the canvas, and wiped the distress oxide inks onto a craft sheet, spritzed it with water, and repeatedly laid the rulers down onto it. 


Closeup of my steampunk tailor. Be brave fit into my idea perfectly, because after all this is the story of the brave little tailor.


Close up of some of the medallions - painted and highlighted.


One of the joys of creating is letting your imagination fly free and see what you come up with! I wanted to add in some sewing details, so threaded a few bobbins, and stuck some pins in them.


I went edgy with these cute little Tim Holtz rulers, and I am wondering what kind of edge you will create! I hope you join in the fun - you could win a $50 voucher to shop at Simon Says Stamp!! 


SUPPLIES:

                                       
                                       


A GREAT place to shop!! 

Simon is on Instagram! Use #sssmchallenge.


Wondering what kind of edge the design team has this week? Let's head on over and find out! 






13 comments:

  1. Fabulous artwork Maura, the background and textures are awesome and I love the sewing details on the top, a very cute finishing touch 😍❤️

    Luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love steampunk, Maura, and this piece is fabulous. I love all the textures in your background and the bobbins on top remind me of watching my grandmother sew for hours when I was a child. Love it!

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super duper cool, Maura! Love that you made some of your own embellishments! They turned out great! : )

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is really stunning! The frame around is amazing. The resin elements give a great dimension and the image with adding mustache is a cool idea. I love the deep colors on the background too. Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply fantastic! I love the ruler frame - inspired idea - and the background is so amazing. Brilliant use of all those cogs and wheels to move the eye around and the gentleman you created to wear the suit and hat has put a big smile on my face!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This project is so amazing Maura...so many details...love how you built up the background and, of course the steampunk style!!! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you've created the frame using the rulers, Maura...so very clever and such a brilliant way to draw the eye into this fabulous piece which has so much wonderful detail and awesome embellishments... Hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun to see the transformation from beginning to end. It was nice to connect the stories you described as your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a fantastic creation, Maura. The steampunk elements on this piece are awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. your steampunk tailor is just so adorable....love how you used the ruler pieces to edge your project...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab piece Maura! Steampung mood is fantastic, details are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bow to you! This is one of my favorite projects!!! Well done Maura!!! Everything is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a stunning project, Maura! Love the dressed up dapper! The background is so rich and fabulous and so much pretty embellishments! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest