Monday, April 23

Flower Power!



Welcome back to our Monday challenge, friends! We have a brand new theme for you this week - FLOWER POWER at our Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. For me the words flower power take me right back to the 1960's when I was a young girl. Flower Power was often a saying associated with the "hippies", but also showed up in fabric in big bold colorful floral designs.

I had a blank canvas bag in my stash and decided to alter it in a Flower Power style, kind of wacky and wild. 



I chose a big bold Tracy Scott flower stencil from Paper Artsy to use with Dina Wakley paints.


I rely on my craft sheet for so many projects. It works as a palette, and lets me tap off paint from my sponges so I get a good image. 


You can see I did a bit of blending in the design here. TIP - when painting on canvas like this, be sure to put a piece of cardboard or something in-between the layers.


A couple of "dotty" Simon Says Stamp stencils...


I stenciled dots and circles in blue and green around the trio of flowers.


Then, more stenciling with Dina Wakley's Shape Mashup and Tim Holtz's Dot Fade stencils. We are heading back to the 60's for sure!


I decided to just have the trio of flowers on one side of the bag. Sometimes you just don't want crazy colors everywhere!


This would make a great book bag or craft tote.


On the other side of the bag, I went all out with color and pattern...lots of dots, shapes, circles, and those big bold blooms!


So, which side of the bag would you show to the world?


Now it's time for you to create some FLOWER POWER and share it with us at our challenge this week. One participant will be chosen for a $50 shopping voucher from our generous friends at Simon Says Stamp!


SUPPLIES:

                                        
                                                    
                                        
A great place to shop!


Simon is on Instagram - use #sssmchallenge


Wondering if anyone else has time traveled to the 60"s? Be sure to head on over to see some amazing Flower Power creations by the DT!






12 comments:

  1. I love how you altered a canvas bag Maura! the funky hippy design is awesome!! LOVE it :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is so original! Can you imagine you are tho only person in this world having such a bag? Great patterns and colors, this is a truly flower power! Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute canvas tote, Maura! It's so perfect for Spring I'm sure you'll get lots of use out of it! :D

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your design is great and also the execution. It is VERY reminiscent of the 60's era. Groovy man, you really did sock it to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every week I wait to see what you create, you're unpredictable and always original! This canvas bag is fabulous, I confess that maybe I will copy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So super fun and ready for the beach and warm days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cool, Maura! I can picture you toting this masterpiece to the beach and having some ritzy lady approach you and ask you who your name-brand designer is. Then you can smile, put your hand on your hip and say, "It's me. I'm a genius." All true! Love the patterns and colors and whimsy here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a gorgeous transformation of a plain canvas tote and any shopper worth her salt would be delighted to have this hanging from her shoulder, beautiful work, hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous project and so much fun...this is amazing Maura, so cool! All we need now is the warm weather to accompany such an awesome bag! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a fun and awesome project, Maura. The flower images on the tote are so beautiful! Great inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this bag, Maura, so fun that you've went for an spruce up project. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a fun back Maura!! so awesome for bringing some books to a picnic!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest