Monday, February 18

Simon Says: Things with Wheels



Hello my lovely creative friends! We are back again this week with a new challenge for you at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - THINGS WITH WHEELS. I had a lot of different ideas for this week, but I knew I wanted to use my teamie Andrea's color wheel stamp for the challenge. Somewhere along the way as I was stamping images I came up with a whole new idea. I was looking at the color wheel and thought, "Could I make this into a flower"? So off I went...

AND AWAY SHE WENT...


I've been admiring the Prima oil pastels for awhile, and decided to get some to try. I do love the rich colors and how smoothly they blend.


I worked on the tag while the images were drying, starting with a layer of transparent paints that I spread on with a silicone brush. I pressed the excess onto a sheet of paper which created some texture.


Next, I used opaque paints with the stencil, and randomly added the design. (Note: in my links I added Sargasso Sea instead of the Magic Moss, very similar)


detail


I used some of the tiny mark making stamps to add another design layer. When I have stamps this small, I find it easiest to stick them on my finger and stamp.


I wanted to share the steps to make the color wheel flowers.
1 - cut out the wheel
2 - cut around each "petal" and be sure to cut down towards the words. Then cut a slit between two of them to the center.
3 - Now bring the two flaps next to the slit together, push up the center, overlap them and staple.


Closeup to show what I mean for the slit and stapling. 


Here you can see how 3D they turned out. These just made me happy!


I added some sequins, stamped the flower stems, and some doodles. Then, I stapled three paint tubes together for my leaves, and adhered the "leaves" and flowers with foam tape. 



Detail


I spritzed the images a bit, and the words before I cut them out and added them to the tag. It makes me happy when my muse takes me off in unexpected directions and I create something I love! 


So, you might have been expecting something else with wheels, like a car or bicycle, but my wheels are color wheels. I hope I've inspired you to make something this week and join us! Our very generous friends at Simon Says Stamp are offering a $50 shopping voucher to one lucky participant.


SUPPLIES:

                                        
                                                    
                                        
A GREAT place to shop!


Simon is on Instagram - use #sssmchallenge


The designers have their wheels out this week, so head on over to see how they interpreted this week's challenge.






16 comments:

  1. OOh you clever girl!!! I love how you used the colour wheel to make flowers!! you are totally brilliant and I love the colours and whole design of this!! 👏

    hope you have a great week!
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love the color wheel flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to turn wheels into flowers! Love the colours too!
    Lucyna xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The color wheel (LOVE that stamp) flowers are genius! Your colors are fabulous! I LOVE this Maura...a new fav!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maura! You clever little devil, you! You do things with my stamps that I never would've thought of in a million billion years. That you so very much for making my designs shine! I love how you added color and dimension through folding the wheel. Pretty much genius....again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Maura ! This is officially my new favorite of your projects! I adore this idea to use color wheel! Fabulous!! thanks for sharing your creative process! Stunning work! barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful tag! I love the colour wheel design, so clever 😁. I hope you had a lovely week and wishing you a wonderful weekend! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jo! I always appreciate your insight and good wishes. Maura

      Delete
  8. Well that is the most inventive way to make a colour wheel into a beautiful flower that I have ever seen, brilliant Maura! Adore your colour palette and how you interpreted this great them, thanks so much for sharing it! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Deb! I really appreciate your comment!

      Delete
  9. This is such a fantastic tag, Maura. Love the beautiful colors on the background and the fabulous color wheel flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow such stunning colours on those flowers and how clever to use the colour wheels to create them, hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such an amazing tag and such a great take on the challenge!!! SO CLEVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cool, Maura! Love the wheels so much, so fun to make them into flowers! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest