Monday, August 27

Welcoming a New Season - Autumn!



Hello Monday my friends! I hope you have had a wonderful week, and are ready for a new challenge with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge! This week our challenge is AUTUMN/FALL. The season is beginning to change where I live and summer is drawing to a close. For me that's ok, because I love the fall season. 

Hasn't it been wonderful having Anne Redfern with us this month? I love her creative style and inspiration, and it was a pleasure to have the opportunity to work with her again. Wishing you the very best, Anne!

I started thinking about Fall and all of the things I love about it - cooler weather, colorful leaves, crunchy sounds underfoot, harvest time, apples, pumpkins, and I could go on. One thing that makes me a bit sad is seeing the birds migrating south. I truly am in awe of the miles they fly and how they navigate to their winter lands and back each year. Aren't they amazing?!


I began with a layer of autumn leaves, creating texture with the transparent texture paste and Tim Holtz's stencil. I set this aside to dry. (of course, I got impatient and pulled out the heat gun to speed things up)


Next, I pulled out some fall color distress crayons and swiped them over the tag, then I went in with my finger and smudged them in. I heat set this.



Time to add a metallic sheen with these distress crayons.



I wanted to add in another design layer, and went in with Seth Apter's new circles stamp. I wiped a lot off of the leaves, so you just see hints of this. 


I wanted more color, so dripped on some ink, using the candied apple and carved pumpkin. I misted it and let it drip. A quick heat set, then I did the same with some hickory smoke.



Next, I went around the tag with black soot, and splattered some over the tag. 


I stamped the flying bird on watercolor paper and colored the image with the Mermaid Markers, and fussy cut him out. I decided to add a scarf (like the fighter pilots used to wear), and used the same ribbon to tie at the top of the tag. I also decided to go and add a bit more stamping using Simon's Ornate Leaves set.


I added some gears, and the Wander quote chip that I altered a bit. 


I felt like the top needed a bit more, and was happy once I added a black feather and some wire spirals.


My bird is ready for that long migration flight with his goggles and scarf!


I hope I've inspired you with my mixed media tag. I'm looking forward to seeing your creations this week, so please join us! One lucky participant is drawn at random for a $50 voucher from our generous friends at Simon Says Stamp. 


SO HAPPY AND HONORED TO HAVE MY TAG SELECTED AS A FAVORITE ON SPLITCOAST STAMPERS FOR THE WEEK ENDING SEPT. 8!!

SUPPLIES:  
                                        
                                                   
                                        

A Great place to shop!!


Simon is on Instagram, use #sssmchallenge


Our design team has been busy creating some awesome Autumn makes to share with you, so be sure to head on over there!



11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous tag Maura :-) the background is fabulous! love the textures and colours and feather and I absolutely LOVE the bird with his funky scarf!! Brilliant!! :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Maura for your kind words, the pleasure was all mine and I thoroughly enjoyed my stint!

    Your tag is sumptuous, gorgeous texture, wonderful colours and that turquoise bird is just stunning and sets the whole tag off so beautifully. Love this!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I absolutely adoe the background you created. Te texture and colors are amazing, so thick and warm. Love the golden touches and the vibrancy. The bird is so cool with this fashion scarf, lol. Hugs, Macarena

    ReplyDelete
  4. stunning tag Maura, the background is amazing, love the colour palette and the addition of the feather complements your bird theme, hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That background is fabulous Maura ~ so much detail and texture and the colour is so rich! It's such a wonderful autumnal tag, full of fun and quirkiness! I love it... <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cool textured background Maura!! The blue bird looks great against the rich orange/brown shades. I hope you had a good weekend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this fabulous tag, Maura. The colors and the texture on the background you created are amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous inspiration for this project and I love how it turned out! Your background texture is lovely and that bird is such a super-star! You really brought him to life and I love how you even made his scarf appear to be flying in the wind. This is full of adventure and happy vibes and once again it shows your vivid imagination at work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Maura! you celebrate new season in a fabulous way! This tag is amazing, especially I love background and wonderful contrast with light blue !Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing, Maura! Love this tag really much! The rusty background is amazing, love the steampunk bird and the bow with the feathers is stunning! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a stunning tag|!!! The bird is amazing and I loved reading how you created it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest