Monday, August 20

Back to School



Hello Monday my friends and welcome to our newest challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - BACK TO SCHOOL. 

Can you hear the students groaning and the parents celebrating that summer is ending and school beginning? I have a whole new August vibe now that I am retired from teaching. In the past, this was the month I would head in to school to get my classroom prepared, unpack supplies, set up plans, get things copied...in other words live at school for a couple of weeks. Now, I really enjoy August and look forward to September and observing the transition to fall. Don't get me wrong, I did it while I was teaching, but now I get to set my own non-frantic pace.

I decided to make teacher bookmarks for friends, and will give them out for the new school year.


I decided to use an entire sheet of watercolor paper and make a background before I cut out the bookmarks. I stamped on words and calculus equations as a base layer.


Next, I stenciled on numbers and letters.


Then, I used the grid stencil with Lime green paint.


Final paint layer is a dot stencil and Blushing paint.


I just had to use my newest Distress oxides, and blended the four colors onto the sheet and misted the paper with water. 


Yes, I am liking this! Now that I have my background, I cut the sheet into 8 bookmarks.


On some of these, I smudged on white paint with my finger to make the images pop more.


Then, I had to do a bit of doodling in black and white...hmm, just like I used to do in my notebooks at school.


I wanted to create a variety of bookmarks, and the Altenew Teachers Rule, Tim Holtz mini blueprints Schoolhouse, and Simon's Game Tile Letters are great for these. I colored the images in a bit with Distress Crayons and just smudged them a bit with my finger to blend them in.


Final steps were to edge the bookmarks with black ink, punch a hole at the top, and add leather strips, fibers or cloth to finish them off.


Do you have a favorite? There are so many things you can make for Back to School, from gifts for your child's teacher, to planners, to handmade goodies to tuck into your child's lunchbox. I'd love to see you play along with us this week, and one lucky participant will be chosen at random for a $50 shopping voucher from our generous friends at Simon Says Stamp!


SUPPLIES:

                                        
                                                    
                                        
A great place to shop!!


Simon is on Instagram - use #sssmchallenge


Our design team has been busy working on back to school inspiration for you, so be sure to head on over and see what they've made!




10 comments:

  1. Fabulous stencilling, stamping and layering and just so perfect for teacher friends - I am sure they will enjoy using these beauties! I think my Son-in-Law is looking forward to days like the ones you have ahead of you, although he has a few years to go yet! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! I have given out a few so far, and they have liked them. A little something to brighten the year. Your son-in-law will enjoy the days to come!

      Delete
  2. Lovely bookmarks! I like the colorful but soft backgrounds and that they are all so different, so much work here! I'm sure your teaching friends will be happy to hav one of them. Now enjoy your retirement :-) Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fantastic! As a former teacher, I can tell you that I certainly would've been grateful for such a lovely handmade gift. And I have to tell you (on an unrelated side note) that YOU and YOU alone are the reason I finally whipped out my gelli plate for next week's project! For some reason, gelli plates subconsciously scared the heck out of me, but when I saw you use it so many times in such cool ways, I took the plunge. Thanks for always being a good example of one who can rock a supply!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thanks! Appreciated your thoughts as a former teacher :) AND, so happy to hear you pulled out your gelli plate!!! I will warn you - it is addictive!! Can't wait to see what you made!

      Delete
  4. Love these fantastic bookmarks, Maura. The background colors and patterns you created are amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such stunning bookmarks Maura and wonderful gifts! I love the background sheet you made as a base and all the stamping. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful bookmarks Maura, love how you added so much layering to the background and I'm sure your friends will love them, hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such wonderful bookmarks, Maura! So much layers and love all the stamps! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely idea to create bookmarks! they are stunning! Background is totally cool! barbara

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest