Monday, April 1

Don't be Fooled...be Foiled!



Happy Monday my creative friends...and April Fools!! There's no fooling around here today as we play with foils at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge

We are showcasing Gina K products this week, and this is really a new one for me.
 I will admit, I went into this having no idea how to do the foils, especially as most of what I saw used a laminator, which I don't have. 
Never fear, I came up with a method that I'll share with you!

We also have the lovely creative Sabrina Perna with us for the month of April, so be sure to give her a Simon welcome!! Glad to have you with us this month, Sabrina!

Spring...one day at a time


I had to experiment a little in order to find a way to use the foils. (yes, the science teacher rears her head once in awhile) I played around with some scraps first, and discovered if I ran a glue stick over the design, and pressed it down onto the back of the foil, and pressed it down, when I lifted it, some glitter adhered. 


I repeated the step with a few colors, and most of the raised surface of the butterfly was foiled. 



Next, I blended some distress oxides onto the butterflies, misted them, then wiped them off in order to keep the shine. 



Time for the background...I laid the stencil onto the watercolor paper, and blended four distress oxide colors through the stencil, then misted. 


My blending colors....


...and I thought I would share the solution I came up with to keep the blender foam with the color. I adhere a bit of adhesive, like a glue dot to the back and stick on my foam. It lifts easily when I am ready to use, and keeps my colors pure. 

Have you come up with another solution for this? I'd love to hear it!


Blended background with some relief using the Nuvo white. 


Details...



I wrote spring,  edged the papers with black ink, and stamped on the phrase from Seth Apter - I love the look of the funky type he uses. 
Now my art journal page has me thinking about spring, and hoping for its arrival...one day at a time.


Happy April Fool's Day! and we are not fooling around this week, we are foiling and would love to have you try it too and join the fun! One lucky participant will be randomly drawn for a $50 shopping voucher from our generous friends at Simon Says Stamp. 


SUPPLIES;

                                        
                                                    
                                        
A GREAT place to shop!!


Simon is on Instagram - use #sssmchallenge


The design team is busy foiling...no fooling...so be sure to head over to see what they've created this week to inspire you!








9 comments:

  1. With all the colors this is really a spring like project. Lovely background which gives an optical ilussion of 3D layers. Great foiling on the butterflies' wings. Hugs, Macarena

    ReplyDelete
  2. from one newbie to another, you did a great job. The butterflies look stunning again that gorgeous Distress background, hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The foiled butterflies are wonderful Maura!! I too never owned a laminator and usually use a glue stick, or simply double-sided tape together with foil. I hope you had a good weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous! Those butterflies really zing to life! How clever you are to not have resorted to a laminator like I did. I will tell you that I bought one just for this challenge and thought I would die of the burnt plastic smell when I first plugged the dang thing in. A smelly beginning (which apparently is normal), but I loved seeing your laminator-free techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a gorgeous creation, Maura. The background you created is so beautiful, and I love those gorgeous butterflies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is fantastic! colors and stencil are fabulous and butterflies..... wow! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I love the stendilled background andathe foil butterflies look amazing 😁. I have never used foils so may have to give this a try. Thanks for the inspiration and have a happy new week! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun page, Maura! Foiling is fun, isn't it? The butterflies are so pretty. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you used the foil!!! Makes me dream!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest