Sunday, March 1

Steampunk Illuminati



Hello and welcome steampunk fans! Our March challenge at SASPC is up and waiting for you, and our theme as always is Steampunk/Industrial Mixed Media Anything Goes. We have so many awesome makers from around the world who join us! Every month it is a treat to see the creativity that is shared in our challenge. 

This month I decided to upcycle some of the cardboard I always seem to have on hand. I wanted to work in a different shape, and chose to cut out a triangle, and then I built it up with some awesome boozybear chipboard, and included the Eiffel Tower. 

Mysterious vibrations began to take over as the piece took form. Hmm, is that the Louvre filled with its amazing art collection hidden in the triangle? The Eiffel Tower built and turning with hidden gears, its true purpose hidden somewhere in that rusted steel. Is it a device to send and receive messages through the aether? The portal to another dimension? These thoughts led to the idea of the Illuminati, who must have been active in the steampunk world...

STEAMPUNK ILLUMINATI


It all starts with some upcycled cardboard to use as the base...


Laying out the chipboard and feeling out a design...


First paint layer - carbon black and raw sienna.


Layer two - quinacridone gold (oh, I do love this color!)


In order to get a good patina, I blended in some cobalt teal.


Then, I weathered the background with some chalky finishes. 


A touch of bright copper...


I even built a stand on the back so the piece would be free standing.


Detail...love that mix of blue and orange!


Lots of texture and dimension...


Gorgeous crackle from the crackle paint that I mixed with some chalky finish...




I used a variety of DecoArt media and boozybear chipboard, plus some gears and microbeads.


Ah yes, I am sure there were many Collectors of Curiosities in the Steampunk Era, just as there were in the Victorian Age.


I hope you have enjoyed my project as much as I did making it! Come join us this month with your own steampunk/industrial creation, whether this is your first project, or you create an abundance of steampunk makes! 

Many, many thanks to our awesome sponsors DECOART MEDIA and BOOZYBEAR CHIPBOARD!

Keep the cogs and gears of creativity turning, and have a wonderful March!
Maura








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest