Monday, March 1

Friendship Trees



Hello Monday, my friends! Welcome to our new challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - ART JOURNAL, and we are showcasing Dyan Reavely products too! She has a lot of wonderful art journals and lots of mediums to work with in them. 

I am so happy to welcome back my friend Sandra Rupp as our guest designer for March. She is a super talented maker and I know you will love seeing her creations! Welcome back, Sandra!

I went to my small Dylusions art journal by Dyan Reavely and Ranger to create a spread about trees. You might not know this about me, but I got my first college degree in forestry, and worked in that industry for awhile, prior to going back and getting my teaching degree. So, trees are near and dear to my heart. I love the beautiful tree stamp set by my team mate, Anna-Karin!

FRIENDSHIP IS A SHELTERING TREE


When you don't have much time to work in your art journal, why not just add some sprays to create a background. I made this background a long time ago using Dyan's Ink Sprays, and it was a good starting point for my idea.


I used the Crackle stamp with Simon's Jellybean ink, thinking I wanted to keep it in a similar range, but later that all changed. 


Next, I used Dyan's Mushy Peas and the Tim Holtz layering Deco Arch stencil to add another layer.


I colored the tree stamps with distress crayons, spritzed them with water, and stamped onto watercolor paper. I repeated this step a couple of times using different colors.


I pull out some Stamperia Cosmos papers, cardboard, and laid them out, snapped a photo to remember how to place them again. 


I decided my background was too bright for the papers I chose, so I experimented with the plastic from the stamp set, ground espresso and a mist of water. I laid the plastic onto the ink, lifted it and applied to my pages - I thought it would be easier than trying to lay the book into it, and it worked!


Laying down the plastic with the ink on the left, and you can see how it turned out on the right. I will definitely be doing this again!


Pages after the ink spots.... and you can probably see the tree image in there too - it didn't stamp well (bumpy layers underneath). That led me to a different idea. I also realized the arch design was not showing up so well, so I brushed on water and ground espresso to bring out the design (paint acted as a resist).


Once everything was in place, I still felt like it needed to be a bit darker, so stamped some blue dots on, and smudged some paint over the large areas. 


By this time, I had lost the crackle, so repeated a layer on top with the ground espresso. Then, I felt like I needed to bring a bit of the turquoise into the grouping, so added a bit. Now, I think I have everything tied together. 


Details...



And that's the journey of making of these pages...as you can see, it went off in directions unplanned, but I think turned out better for it. 


Now it's your turn! Get out your art journal, create and share with us for a chance to be drawn for a $25 shopping voucher from our generous friends at Simon Says Stamp! 




A great place to shop!


Simon is on Instagram - use #sssmchallenge


The design team has some great art journal ideas for you, so be sure to head on over and check them out!

5 comments:

  1. Great grungy art journal page. Love all of your layers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot on with this write-up, I absolutely believe that this website needs a lot more attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ll probably be returning to read more, thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to be a part of a contest for one of the finest websites on the net.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest