Monday, February 21

Let's Art Journal!




Hello Monday my friends! Welcome back to our new challenge this week at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge  ART JOURNAL. I love playing in my many art journals. It's fun having a variety of them so I can choose which is the best one to use for my project. 

This week I am sharing my art journal pages inspired by artist Soraya Nulliah.  On reflection of who emerged from the pages, I'm going to call this...

GENERATIONS


I began by taping off the pages to create a frame. (In hindsight, this may not have been the best choice. I used the heat tool, which sometimes makes the tape stick harder to the paper. Also, the black paper has a surface section which pulled off at the end. ) I added a couple of layers of white gesso over the pages and let that dry. 


Then, I just played with paint and pattern and covered the pages with bright cheerful colors. The mark making tools were my fingers, a straw, and a pencil top.


I sketched in with a pencil where the people would be and the circles (suns, moons?). I covered over the base with a gesso and water mix to cover the background (whitewash). I used the black on the base and white gesso above, and brought it to the edges of the images. You still get hints of color and design underneath.


I used a baby wipe to pull back some of the white background and let more color through. I used a mix of olive, pink and white for the faces. 


Once everything was dry, I doodled in details on the people. Since I am not great with faces, I decided to leave them blank...we know what they are, right?


I doodled around the circles and clothing too. 



Women of three generations: daughter, grandmother and mother


I decided to add in a few words after I removed the tape...Seek happiness and friendship. Here you can see I took off the top layer of black, so it didn't turn out as planned. I'm leaving it, but you could use washi tape or paper to make a frame. 


I had so much fun in my art journal! When I play like this, I forget about everything and enjoy being in the creative moment. Now it's your turn to work in your art journal. Come join the fun this week! Our generous friends at Simon Says Stamp are offering a $25 shopping voucher.


A great place to shop!


Simon is on Instagram - use #sssmchallenge


The design team has lots of creative art journal inspiration for you this week.


 



4 comments:

  1. This is wonderful 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful pages! The background is spectacular, I love all the colours and patterns - perfect 😁. Happy and creative wishes! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, many thanks! Did you notice how I had to label my post? - you inspired it! So glad you enjoyed this, I really appreciate your comments. Have a lovely week! Maura

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest