Friday, May 19

Guest Blogger at OOAK Artisans Today!

Hello friends! 
Today I have the honor of being a guest blogger with OOAK Artisan Showcase. 
Shelley Graham Turner, an artist herself is on a mission to share art with people of all ages. I met her at the wonderful Color Crush workshop she organized, and she is brimming with ideas, and she and I both love the color green! Please head on over to OOAK to see what I have made!


I have a friend who is retiring from many years of teaching, and I wanted to create a unique gift for her. A local motel always has great seasonal quotes on their sign, and when I saw this one, I knew I had to make something using it - "Live Life in Full Bloom."


Time to play with flowers and colors! I started with this flower mask and used a palette knife and modeling paste to get the flowers defined. Then, I decided to use the knife and spread more paste randomly on the canvas for textures.


First color layer - greens! We have to start with our favorites, right Shelley?


Next up - oranges!


And I have to include pinks, because my friend loves pink!


Time for some black and lots of stenciling. I love to use a cosmetic sponge with just a bit of the paint and dab through the stencil.


Stencil white flowers over it to add another layer.


Now, for a bit of smudgy green and stamped leaves.


I felt the need to add in more flowers and more pink, so mixed up some pink and smudged it in across the center, let it dry and then stamped.



Since my white flowers disappeared into the background, I stenciled more in again on top, doodled around the big flowers, and dusted them with gold.


Smudged a bit more green in, and more stenciling with the black. I don't know about you, but sometimes I have a hard time knowing when to stop and move on!


Unify it all with a bit of black mister...


I stamped these wonderful face images from my friend Andrea at Snapping Monsters onto 200 lb. watercolor paper, then mixed colors to get a skin tone and hair. As you will see, I then changed my mind and made one with green hair! I also typed the words onto the heavy paper to cut out, edge with black and use.




View so you can see the layering - green girl and words are popped up once, pink girl is popped twice.



Thanks so much for stopping by! 
Be sure to head on over to OOAK and check out all the fabulous inspiration there! And...LIVE LIFE IN FULL BLOOM!


SUPPLIES:

DecoArt Fluid Acrylics - Yellow Green Light, Green Gold, Quinacridone Magenta, Quinacridone Violet, Cadmium Orange Hue, Transparent Yellow Oxide, Titan Buff

DecoArt Americana - Shrimp, Pink Tropics, Razzle Berry, Bright Salmon, Apple Green, Sea Glass, Snow White, Lamp Black

DecoArt Mediums - Ultra Matte Varnish, Modeling Paste, Gold Rush Metallic Lustre, Carbon Black Mister

Stamps - Snapping Monsters Wonder Girls, Carabelle Studio/Birgit Koopsen “There are always flowers’, “The earth has music”

Stencils - Carabelle Studios/Birgit Koopsen “2Flowers”, “1/58”, “Decoupage”, “Fleurs by Azoline”

Other - canvas board, 200 lb. watercolor paper, brushes, palette knife, heat gun, foam tape, Ranger Jet Black Archival ink, typewriter, black pens, baby wipes, cosmetic sponges







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest