Monday, May 15

Home, Sweet Home!



Happy Monday! You know what this day means - a brand new challenge at Simon Says Stamp! This week our theme is HOME, SWEET HOME! Interpret it however you will, but be sure to share with us, because you could win a $50 voucher from Simon! 

I found a house shaped block of wood in my stash and decided to have some fun altering it with bright tropical colors! I loved playing with the papers, stamps, paints and found objects to make this. 


I started out by using the wood as the template to cut out the patterned paper - Crate Paper's Oasis, and cut and distressed a piece of corrugated cardboard to use as the roof. Once I had my pieces cut, I had fun stamping a variety of images onto the sheets, and since my house is full (of maybe I should say stuffed) of books, I added a few bookish sayings. 
Remember, you never have to use a full stamp, you can choose just part of it to use like I did here with several images.


After I adhered the papers to the wood, I went around the edges with Dina Wakley's Media tape to help finish it off.


Oh, yes, I like these blues for the roof - ocean on the bottom and turquoise dabbed on top.


Next step, I painted some areas in with pink and blue.




I wanted to create a white wash in some areas, so I mixed the white paint with some clear gesso to create this effect. Usually, I cut the paint with water, but this worked really well!


I found some old Prima resin frames in my stash, so added a bit of patterned paper behind it and then attached it to the house. 


I'll share a number of views of the house so you can see each side. In addition to the window, I inked a ruler piece and added it to the base.


The rest of the ruler is on the back, along with some resin roses tinted with ink, and a wood plant I found in my stash.








My little house makes me happy! I have to make more of these to add to this one, maybe in different sizes and shapes. I hope I have inspired you to join our Home Sweet Home challenge this week, I can't wait to see what you make! 

SUPPLIES:

                                       
                                       

A great place to shop!! Friendly folk and fast service!


Simon is on Instagram! Please use hashtag #sssmchallenge


Amazing things are going on in the Monday challenge, and I know this week will be full of inspiration, so lets head over there to see what everyone is creating! 






10 comments:

  1. LOVE your house Maura! brilliant altered art! who would have thought that this started as a block of wood! I think I need to take a trip to my carpenter and root through his bins!! ;-) absolutely gorgeous :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maura, this is so cool! I love the colors and all the pieces you found to put it together. So pretty!

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those bright colors...and the texture on the roof!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fun and fabulous creation, Maura. Love the beautiful tropical color scheme! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH Maura , this is such a cute wee house, I love it, thanks for sharing the steps ... and had huge chuckle at the too many books and thinking must get jobs done, then just turn the page ...that's me, all over when i di d read a book im a real page turner not often enough these days!!!
    Ive linked up to your blog today as welcome to mine so hope you gt some extra visitors too :D
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    Shaz in Oz.x

    {Shaz in Oz – Calligraphy Cards}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Maura! You have combined all of my loves into one fabulous piece: books and happy colors! I love the texture you incorporated, too. This is another example of your amazing imagination flying free and I wish I could hang out in this place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely adorable Maura and I love that sweet little house with all it's gorgeous texture and bright colours...beautiful work! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. your little wooden house is just adorable Maura...love the colours and the gorgeous texture and details you added...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love everything about this house!!!!!!!!!! It's fantastic , the roof is so wonderful, this color.... it's incredible. Amazing use of stamps! barbara

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest