Monday, June 26

Stencil it Bright and Cheerful!



Hello Monday, my friends! Welcome back to a new challenge - this week we are into stenciling, so let's Stencil It! 

We have had the wonderful pleasure this month of having Anne with us as our guest DT. I know you have been inspired by her wonderful takes on the challenges, and I want to wish her the very best! Be sure to pop over to Redanne and check out what she is creating!

I headed to my big art journal for this week's challenge, and went to one of my "junk" pages - that's where I brush off excess paint from other work, so I don't waste it. 


I started on a sheet of watercolor paper and taped the stencil into place. Then, using a mix of Distress inks and Oxide inks, I sponged the colors in. 


As you can see, I smudged a bit, but I can live with that. 


I decided to spritz a bit, and in retrospect, maybe I should have just spritzed the flower and butterfly and left the words alone. Since I didn't, I went in with a pen and doodled around the images a bit, and added a bit of cross-hatching in the background.


CHANGE OF PLANS: Then, I slept on it....I thought I was done and could leave it as is, but came up with an idea in the middle of the night to fix it. So, this morning, I did this...

I decided to redo the stenciled area and started with the flower. While the stencil was in place, I lightly spritzed water over this section to activate the oxide inks I mixed in.


I am much happier with this one than my smudgy one, especially with the lettering. 



Next step was adding in the border design with texture paste and a stencil. Once dry, I spritzed the bright Dylusions sprays on it, and wiped off the excess with a baby wipe. I went around the edge with black ink. 


I used Inka Gold to bring out the lovely lace stencil design and a bit of white pen. 

(new and improved version with a bit of doodling)

If you look closely at the bottom of the page, you can see an echo of the stencils I used. 



Do you ever finish a piece and look back at it and think - I should have stopped there...I should have done this...It would be better if I had...? Well, yes...I do that too, but most of the time I am ok with how it turns out even when I see the flaws. Or, I sleep on it and often wake up with a solution. How do you react to this when it happens to you?


Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope I have inspired you to join us in our Stencil It challenge this week, and I am looking forward to seeing your creation! 

You could win a generous $50 voucher from Simon Says Stamp! 

SUPPLIES:

                                       
                                       

A great place to shop! Super fast and friendly!!


Check out Simon on Instagram. Use #sssmchallenge when you post.


Be sure to head over to the challenge blog to see how the DT is interpreting this week's challenge!






12 comments:

  1. After seeing how both you and Kath have used the doily stencil, it has now shot to the top of my wish list Maura! I love the gorgeous, vibrant background you created with the stencil and the Dylusions. I also love how you created the 'topper' too, it compliments the background so beautifully!

    It has been a pleasure to work alongside you for this last month, thank you for making me feel so welcome, it has been a true honour for me! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous journal page Maura :-) I love that you shared the whole process of how you made this the stencilled flower and sentiment are gorgeous and I love the stencilled frame and background too, very pretty :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great and so textured! I really love the background with orange-pink stenciled patterns. So romantic and girly. Great use of stencils here! Hugs, Macarena!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Maura! The colors are so bright and cheery and perfect for the sentiment. I love how you used the doily stencil and will have to break that one out soon. Love it!

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. How neat, Maura! Love the tone on tone stenciling to add texture! :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic colors and texture! Beautiful sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really beautiful and as the title of the post says...bright and cheery and definitely a project to make you smile wide! It's fabulous, Maura! Hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this stencil!!!!! I think I have it *somewhere* you made me want to play with it!! Love the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful project Maura! Love hearing about your process too. The stenciled flower looks wonderful, especially with the additional doodling. I love the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the background you created with the lace stencil Maura and I love that sentiment...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful work here! I especially love how you added in those flowers from the stencil on the bottom of your piece-- rearranging the sentiment and flower from the stencil itself. You are a visionary, my friend, and I love what you've done here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely agree with Andrea! You're a visionary and I love to amaze me every time I visit your blog! You are a fab artist! love how you use the stencil and bold colors in your project!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest