Thursday, December 1

Steampunk Christmas Angel




Welcome, welcome, Steampunk friends! Can you believe it's already December? I wish for you a  season of celebration and blessings as you follow your own seasonal path. I was inspired by the holiday season to create a Steampunk Christmas Angel for our challenge this month. 

She has just delivered some presents and placed them under the tree, and is heading off on her bike with more deliveries. I guess Santa Claus or St. Nick must have needed more help this year getting to the homes of all the good girls and boys! 



I started by adding a layer of gesso to my canvas in a very random and messy manner, and then went in with a stencil and modeling paste. 


While that dried, I cut out 3 images of the woman on the bicycle so I could make her 3D. (she was actually in a Halloween themed paper pack, but I can change the season)




First layer of paint...metallic Festive Green.


Next layer, adding in some Quinacridone Gold.


I used some patterned paper to do some paper piecing to create the Christmas tree and presents. Then I decided to add some old music paper and number tissue paper to create another layer of interest.


Next, it's time for some messy, painty fun - mostly using my fingers...really, who needs a brush? After this layer dried, I doodled around the tree and packages, added the angel and did some spraying. I used a bit of scrap to cover her face so she wouldn't look all spotty.  As you can see at this point, I was having so much fun, I forgot to take any more photos! 


Added detail with the gears, and a bit of highlighting with gold, some thread to the hat and some old watch parts.


Did some doodling around the  Christmas tree and presents...


I like how hints of the paper layer fade through...


I added black, shimmer and gold splatters - it kind of reminds me of gilded falling snow.


My steampunk angel is heading out for deliveries!



I hope you will join us this month in our challenge and create something in the steampunk/industrial mixed media genre! 

Happy Holidays!
 Keep an eye out for the Steampunk Angel, maybe she will deliver packages to you! 



DECOART SUPPLIES:

Fluid Acrylics:  Pyrole Red, Quinacridone Gold, Payne's Grey, Green Gold
Dazzling Metallics: Bright Brass, Festive Green
Americana Acrylic: Sea Glass
Mediums: Matte Medium, Modeling Paste
Sprays: Carbon Black, Shimmer White
Metallic Lustre: Gold Rush
Stencil: Andy Skinner Snake's Web

Many thanks to our sponsors here at SASPC who keep our gears turning!






15 comments:

  1. Gorgeous mixed media piece! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful loving the layers and the lovely messy process. Happy Christmas great to have you back on the team sorry I don't get here very often your work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love this Maura. It just makes me smile. Truly lovely and it's wonderful that Santa has such a fabulous helper too!!! j.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love seeing your incredible creations....this is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE love love that rich and highly textural background for your beautiful steampunk Christmas angel, Maura! Absolutely brilliant use of the media and techniques and as always a wonderful idea!

    Hugs,
    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Claudia!! Much appreciated!

      Delete
  6. i must have this metallic colors.
    Love your work Maura. So beautiful.
    Greets
    Alexa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this piece Maura. I like how you have a story around this piece and what a nice story it is. Like how you captured movement with the background elements.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Maura this is simply amazing, she looks all geared up and ready to lend a helping hand to save Christmas! I'm hoping everyone has a steampunk angel come visit them this year. Happy creative December Hugs Tracey x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest