Monday, March 19

Road Trip!



Happy Monday friends! I hope you have had a great week and found time to do some crafting. We have a brand new challenge this week for you at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - ROAD TRIP. I don't know about you, but when I hear those words, I perk right up in excitement and anticipation!

Living here in the Northeastern United States, this March has seen snowstorm after snowstorm. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to spring. I am beginning to dream of road trips to warm, sunny climates or ocean beaches. One more blizzard, and we are going to hook our bicycles up to our old Airstream and pull it to a warm spot!
(Yes, we have an old airstream, but no vehicle that will tow it, so it has been everything from a man-cave, to an art studio, reading nook, to a guest bedroom...works for us!)


I started by tearing strips of bright and colorful Beach Babe papers and glueing them onto the tag.


I decided to work mainly in greens and blues, starting with a layer of opaque paints over the papers, wiping it off in areas with a baby wipe so the paper would still show. Then, I stenciled with the transparent paints. 


I felt like I need a contrasting pop of color, and the dot stencil and Coral worked beautifully. 


Now that my tag was so bright, I felt the need to tone it down and went over it with a layer of Vintage Distress Collage Medium.


Next, I whitewashed the tag using the Buff. Again, I wiped off areas with a baby wipe, and added even more paint in other areas, rubbing it in with my finger.


Since my tag surface was uneven, I stamped my images onto plain tissue wrap, and colored the trailer on the backside. Next, I cut the images out and added them to the tag using the collage medium. I also covered the entire tag with the medium.


I love this new Tim Holtz stamp set, Theories, and the trio on the bike is cool.


Details, details...





Are you ready for a road trip? Where would you go? I hope I've inspired you to join our challenge this week! One participant will win a $50 voucher from our generous friends at Simon Says Stamp!


SUPPLIES:

                                        
                                                    
                                        
A great place to shop!


Simon is on Instagram - use #sssmchallenge


Now I'm wondering what kind of road trips my amazing teamies have in mind? Be sure to head on over and check it out!





15 comments:

  1. Fabulous tag Maura :-) I love the bikes pulling along a caravan! haha, the background is gorgeous and I love the texts, great travel sayings :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cool tag, Maura! I love the silhouette of colors in your background and how you created it. What a clever use of images too, I love it!

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool tag! Love how you composed the stamps - absolutely stunning. The background is so sweet and delicate with the pieces of pattern and colorful paper. I can't wait for spring to come, too! Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats an awesome inspiration <3 Thanks for visiting my blog:) UR comments mean a lot!!
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous tag! I love your inspiration and the the quotes you used - perfect 😁. Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog and wishing you a Happy Spring! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, very cool Maura!! I love the layering of colors and texture and the fun burst of color in the ribbons! : )

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your horizontal tag! BAckground you created is fantastic, love it! Great use of Tim's stamp! BArbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many great sentiments here--so many truths. I would love to escape, too! Thanks for the intro to the BM stamps--there are so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, my friend, time to get REAL! I'm going to give you a fact or two here. The first fact is that this is GENIUS. I'm not even kidding. This is one of the very most favorite pieces of mine that you've ever made. Fact numero dos is that what you've done with stencils and layering is absolutely stunning. This could've gone wrong so easily with all those patterns and colors, but you wove them together like the crafty superstar you are. One of my favorite parts is how you combined such different images into one scene- the cool retro RV with the grungy Tim image. If this was a wall-sized piece of art, I would be the highest bidder for sure! Stellar work! Gorgeous fibers, too (wink, wink).

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great tag, full of fun little details and just fabulous, Maura! I love how you've created the background and joining the two stamps together...so clever! Hugs... <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a super fun idea to have them pull the caravan and all the words are perfectly chosen. I also learned something new, since I had to google 'Airstream', I had no idea they were called that. Like you, I am longing for spring, but they are predicting snow again this week, right before Easter. I hope it will stay away. The snow is now melting during the day and then freezing again at night.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the fabulous colors and texture you created on the background! Maura. Such a beautiful tag! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is such a fun tag Maura, love the story of your airstream. We have snow predicted for this week too so I may well join you on that get-away trip. Love the sentiment too, hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely tag Maura!!! The texture are on point and I definitely need to gather some ribbon and yards to used for my tags aswell!!! They are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful tag, Maura! Love the Tim stamp with the caravan behind it, so funny! Love it! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest